Traveller Evictions

Evicting travellers and other trespassers from private or commercial land and property can be a complex legal and logistical problem.

We have considerable experience across England and Wales in evicting travellers from open land. We are able to work closely with the police and, where appropriate, the courts to bring about successful evictions. Ingram Associates can also support you with site cleanup and security after the eviction has been completed.

How to evict travellers from your property 

There are two methods that are commonly used in evicting trespassers from private property. These are:

  • Writs of possession
  • Common law evictions

Using a writ of possession to evict travellers 

Writs of possession are used to enforce orders of possession issued by the High Court or County Court. It can take some time for a writ to be issued, but it can be enforced immediately. The police are also obligated to assist with its enforcement.

Dependent on the number of travellers and to the extent to which they are ‘entrenched’ upon the land or property, it may be necessary to carry out a risk assessment to identify the situation, specific risks, actions and key contacts, including the police, in relation to the eviction.

This method of eviction is typically used to evict trespassers that are less likely to comply with an eviction notice. Failing to comply with the writ is a criminal offence.

Contact us to discuss using a writ of possession to evict trespassers.

Traveller eviction under common law powers

Trespass on open land in non-residential properties is not a criminal offence in England. As such, to evict travellers it's necessary to invoke common law powers. These require you to request that the trespassers leave your land and allow the use of reasonable force to evict them if they fail to leave of their own accord.

How to invoke common law powers to evict travellers

Invoking common law powers to evict travellers is a relatively straightforward process. However, it helps to have support to ensure that the eviction is completed safely and legally. Ingram Associates are able to provide support throughout the traveller eviction process.

You must first provide the occupiers with a written eviction notice that you intend to evict them from your property. This should include the following information: Tresspassers and Squatters

  • The name of the landlord
  • The boundaries of the land referred to in the notice, including a map if possible
  • Contact details of the Enforcement Officer
  • The consequences of failing to abide by the notice
  • The length of time the occupiers have to leave. 

This form of eviction is commonly used against travellers that occupy private land without permission. Travellers will often leave voluntarily within 48 hours of notice being served by bailiffs, preventing the need for further action.

Contact us to discuss common law powers of eviction for travellers.

Immediate removal of travellers 

If you are a landowner and your land is currently being occupied by travellers we are able to initiate their removal from your property within 24 hours of receipt of our instruction form. Get help with evicting travellers in London, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and the West Midlands.

Eviction services

Ingram Associates can assist with serving notices of eviction, enforcing the eviction notice and liaising with police if the occupiers fail to leave the property. Costs will vary depending on the nature of the site, the number of trespassers and the extent to which they are entrenched on the property.

Our fee structure is as follows:

  • Preparation and service of Notice of Intended Eviction £375 + VAT
    One enforcement officer.
  • Eviction Visit - if necessary £750 + VAT
    This includes a site attendance by two enforcement officers and the first hour of their time. Additional time is charged at £120 + vat per enforcement officers per hour. In the case of a prior risk assessment by the enforcement officer when attending to serve the eviction notice dictating that the assistance of more than two enforcement officers are required then each officer will be charged at an additional fee of £120 + vat per hour.
  • Recovery trucks
    If recovery vehicles are required to remove the occupiers’ property ('goods and chattels'), animals and vehicles, these will be billed at cost.
  • Site cleaning team
  • If required Ingram Associates can supply a quotation for a team to remove rubbish and other waste leaving the site or property clean and habitable.
  • Site security team
  • We can also supply a quotation for a security team with dogs to prevent travellers from returning to the site or property.

    A risk assessment will be carried out by the enforcement officer on his/her initial attendance. This enables us to quantify the number of enforcement officers, recovery trucks and police officers required for a future eviction should this be necessary. From this a final quotation of fees will be given.

Get help with evicting travellers in Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Northamptonshire, the West Midlands and all areas within the M25

If you have a problem with travellers do not hesitate to telephone Ingram Associates to discuss the matter in more depth on 020 7073 2610 or 01865 301779. You can also complete our online contact form.

* Required

Contact Us

Please call 020 7073 2610 or 01865 301779, or use our contact form